Sunday, January 31, 2010

Lamb to the Slaughter by Roald Dalh


Dear Diary,
Today was the death of my dearest husband.
I went to the doctor today and found out that the child in my stomach was a boy! I was so elated. When my husband came back home today, he was very cold towards me. He did not talk much and he rejected everything I offered to do for him. I offered to take his slippers and get him his drink but he just rudely rejected it. I just thought that he was especially tired today but that was not the case.
He needed to talk to me. I sat down and had a good talk with him for about four to five minutes. Patrick wanted a divorce! All because of another woman! I was fuming mad but I held back my emotions.
I went down to the cellar to get supper. It was a leg of lamb that I found in the freezer.When I went back up into the living room he was packing his bag and he provoked me saying "Try to stop me". I raised up the lamb and brought it down to his head. Within seconds, he was on the floor.
Being a detective's wife, I knew the consequences.....I had to think fast. I needed to find myself a strong alibi. I went out through the back door to the grocer. After buying some vegetables and chatted with him, I headed back home. I dropped everything on the ground and messed up the whole house as though there was a burglary.After that, I called the police.
The policemen, detectives and a forensics doctor came to my house soon after. After a few hours of investigation, the four detectives left at my house were getting tired and I offered them supper-murder weapon (Lamb) served with some whisky.
The detectives were real sloppy with their investigations and I could get away with murder as I had a strong alibi and my good rapport with my husband's colleagues.
My thoughts: The phrase I liked most that the detectives said was: "Personally, I think it is right here in this premises. Probably right under our very noses." They were referring to the murder weapon.

1 comment:

  1. Please dont get offended but I think that u are just repeating the story that we read and so there si actually not very interesting as we can actually read from the handout given. But also you did some inference about the story which to me is quite accurate! Keep that up!Why didnt you talk about the part where Mrs Maloney giggled in the basement?

    ReplyDelete